Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Naan Sandwiches


Bizarrely, one of the only breads I have found here that is vegan is naan bread which I am able to buy at the local grocery store for 98 yen each! It is delicious though and this is the sandwich that has become one of my favourite quick and easy meals. The sandwich pictured is topped with broccoli sprouts.

I have to warn you that it is pretty messy (especially the more veggies you add). Leaving it open-faced can minimize the mess a bit. This recipe makes 2 sandwiches, a big meal even for me...

My local grocery store has stopped selling the vegan variety of naan so I can't make this sandwich anymore but I have just gotten a recipe for homemade naan that I am going to try as soon as I come back from Thailand (Aug 20).

Ingredients:
2 naan breads
1 avocado
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
sprouts to taste, any variety will work
1 tomato, sliced
1 Lebanese cucumber, cut in half and sliced lengthwise into about 6-8 slices
1 inch piece of negi (or a few slices of any type of onion), sliced on the diagonal (if using onion sprouts, omit negi)
1 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce

Method:
1. Put each naan bread in the toaster oven for 4 minutes (not to toast, just to soften).
2. Mash the avocado in a bowl and add the balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt (if you have it--I don't).
3. Place half the avocado mixture on the lower half of each naan bread. Top with negi, sprouts, sweet chilli sauce, cucumber, and tomato (I find that order to be the least messy).
4. Fold the naan bread over and enjoy.

Estimated nutritional info for ONE SANDWICH:
Energy: 437Cal, Carbs: 64g, Fat: 17g, Protein: 13g